Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)
What is a Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?
The Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189) is a visa issued by the Australian government to highly skilled foreign workers who do not have a sponsor or family member to sponsor them in Australia. This visa is part of the General Skilled Migration program and is designed for individuals with specific skills and qualifications in demand in the Australian labour market.
Advantages of a Skilled Independent Work (Subclass 189) Visa
The Subclass 189 visa allows you to work and move to Australia permanently, allowing you to settle in the country and enjoy its benefits.
No sponsorship required
Unlike other types of visas, such as employer-sponsored visas, the Subclass 189 visa does not require you to have a job offer or sponsor to apply.
This visa offers flexibility in terms of employment, allowing you to work in any occupation or industry you choose.
Sponsor-eligible family members
Once you are granted this visa, you can sponsor eligible family members to come and live in Australia.
Pathway to citizenship
The Subclass 189 visa provides a pathway to Australian citizenship, which offers a range of benefits, including the ability to vote, work for the Australian government, and travel on an Australian passport.
The Subclass 189 visa provides security and stability, allowing you to live and work in Australia permanently without worrying about visa expiry or renewal.
Requirements for Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) through SkillSelect
If you are looking to apply for a Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) through SkillSelect, here are the basic requirements that you need to fulfil:
Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)
The first step towards applying for this visa is to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online. You will then be invited to apply for the visa if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Meet the basic visa requirements
To qualify for this visa under the General Skilled Migration program, you must meet the following basic requirements:
- Nominated a skilled occupation eligible for Subclass 189 visa
- Obtained a suitable skills assessment in the nominated skilled occupation
- Be at least 18 years of age and younger than 45 years of age.
- Have at least a competent English language ability.
- Meet the points test pass mark of at least 65 points.
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Points test assessment
Applicants are assessed against the points test, and points can be claimed in the following areas:
- English language ability
- Australian and overseas skilled work experience
- Australian & International qualifications
- Australian study requirements
- Specialist qualifications
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian study
- Spouse skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
Entitlements of the SkillSelect
- Access to Government-subsidised healthcare
- Travel in and out of Australia
- Work and study in Australia
- Apply for Australian citizenship
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
Including Family Members in Your Application
If you are applying for a Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189), you can include members of your family unit in the application. You can do this either when lodging your documents or after lodgement but before making a decision.
Family Members Eligible for Inclusion
The family members who are eligible for inclusion in your visa application include:
- Your partner
- Your dependent children
Health and Character Requirements
All family members added to the application must meet the health and character requirements of the visa. This includes providing evidence of medical examinations and police clearance certificates.
Reasons for Not Including Family Members
If you choose not to include your partner or dependent children in the application, you must provide a valid reason for this decision. Some reasons may include:
- Your partner or dependent child already holds a valid visa for Australia
- Your partner or dependent child is not eligible for the visa
- Your partner or dependent child wishes to apply for a different type of visa
|Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) - Primary Applicant||AUD$4,045|
|Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) - Applicant over 18 years||AUD$2,020|
|Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) - Applicant under 18 years||AUD$1,015|
How to Apply for a Skilled Independent Visa (Points Tested Stream)
The outcome of your visa application, as well as the time it takes to process, is heavily reliant on the accuracy of the information provided.
Before applying, you must first complete an expression of interest through SkillSelect. This allows the Australian government to determine whether or not you meet the basic criteria for the visa.
Afterwards, you must gather all relevant documents and apply for the visa online. Be sure to carefully follow the instructions and provide all necessary information and supporting documents. You may receive notifications and instructions for additional documentation if needed. Responding to these promptly and accurately is important to avoid any delays.
Finally, you'll receive the official outcome of your visa application in writing. Make sure to read the outcome carefully and follow any additional instructions provided.
How Can We Help You?
How to write CDR is a team of experts that can help you navigate through the complexities of the visa application process. In addition to visa assistance, they provide various services, including CDR Report Writing, CE Writing, Summary Statement Writing, RPL Report Writing, and KA02 Report Writing.
With their support, you can ensure that your visa application is completed accurately and efficiently, giving you the best chance of obtaining your Skilled Independent Work Visa.
If you liked our post then please share this post on your social media of your choice. Every share helps! Help us spread the word about How To Write CDR!Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on Linkedin
Table of Content
- What is a Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?
- Advantages of a Skilled Independent Work (Subclass 189) Visa
- Requirements for Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) through SkillSelect
- Including Family Members in Your Application
- Visa Cost
- How to Apply for a Skilled Independent Visa (Points Tested Stream)
- How Can We Help You?